KBRA Assigns Preliminary Ratings to GCI FUNDING I LLC, Series 2021-1

NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Kroll Bond Rating Agency (KBRA) assigns preliminary ratings to GCI Funding I LLC, Series 2021-1, Class A Notes and Class B Notes, a container asset backed security securitization. The GCI Funding I LLC master trust is designed to allow a special purpose entity and wholly owned subsidiary of Global Container International, LLC (“GCI”) to issue multiple series of notes. The Series 2021-1 will be the second series issued out of this trust. The Issuer currently has one series of notes outstanding, Series 2020-1 (the “Prior Master Trust Series Issuance”).

In conjunction with the issuance of the Series 2021-1 Notes, KBRA anticipates affirming the ratings on the Series 2020‑1, Class A Notes and Class B Notes in the Prior Master Trust Series Issuance.

The securitization is collateralized by a portfolio of 162,596 containers, with a net book value of $572.8 million and their respective leases. The fleet is comprised of approximately 97.3% dry units, 2.2% refrigerated units (“reefers”) and 0.6% specials by unit. As reefers cost approximately $16,000 versus approximately $3,500 for standard dry container boxes, the Net Book Value (“NBV”) percentage of the portfolio that are dry units is 91.6%, reefers is 7.6% and specials are 0.8%. Approximately 69.3% of the collateral pool by NBV is on long-term lease with a weighted average remaining term of 6.5 years, while 30.7% of the collateral pool by NBV is on finance lease. None of the containers are on master lease and there are no units off-hire. The containers are young with a weighted average age of 1.3 years.

Click here to view the report. To access ratings and relevant documents, click here.

Related Publications


Further information on key credit considerations, sensitivity analyses that consider what factors can affect these credit ratings and how they could lead to an upgrade or a downgrade, and ESG factors (where they are a key driver behind the change to the credit rating or rating outlook) can be found in the full rating report referenced above.

A description of all substantially material sources that were used to prepare the credit rating and information on the methodology(ies) (inclusive of any material models and sensitivity analyses of the relevant key rating assumptions, as applicable) used in determining the credit rating is available in the Information Disclosure Form(s) located here.

Information on the meaning of each rating category can be located here.

Further disclosures relating to this rating action are available in the Information Disclosure Form(s) referenced above. Additional information regarding KBRA policies, methodologies, rating scales and disclosures are available at www.kbra.com.

About KBRA

Kroll Bond Rating Agency, LLC (KBRA) is a full-service credit rating agency registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as an NRSRO. Kroll Bond Rating Agency Europe Limited is registered as a CRA with the European Securities and Markets Authority. Kroll Bond Rating Agency UK Limited is registered as a CRA with the UK Financial Conduct Authority pursuant to the Temporary Registration Regime. In addition, KBRA is designated as a designated rating organization by the Ontario Securities Commission for issuers of asset-backed securities to file a short form prospectus or shelf prospectus. KBRA is also recognized by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners as a Credit Rating Provider.


Analytical Contacts

Michael Lepri, Director (Lead Analyst)

+1 (646) 731-3389

John Lampasona, Director

+1 (646) 731-2318


Zara Shirazi, Senior Director

+1 (646) 731-3326

Rosemary Kelley, Senior Managing Director (Rating Committee Chair)

+1 (646) 731-2381

Business Development Contact

Ted Burbage, Managing Director

+1 (646) 731-3325


error: Content is protected !!